Wednesday, December 13, 2017

*Late Post* Coco Review and NYX Lippie Countdown Day Twelve

I'm sorry for the late post. I went out to dinner and to see Coco with a friend last night and had no motivation to write my review. So, better late than never!

Coco takes place in Mexico and the Land of the Dead. It follows the story of Miguel, a young boy who has a passion for music despite his family's aversion to it. Miguel runs away to participate in a Day of the Dead talent show and suddenly finds himself in the Land of the Dead. To return to Mexico, within a specific time limit, Miguel must find his ancestors and receive their blessing. Along the way, Miguel discovers what family truly means and that idols might not always be what they come off as.

Overall, I really liked Coco. The story is fun and really makes you stop and think. Initially, I found myself disliking Miguel's family because of their insistence that music is horrible. But as the movie progressed I began to understand their initial logic and feel sympathetic for them.

This movie had a perfect balance of comedy and drama. I loved the humor provided by the dog, Dante, and the drama caused by the family dynamic. One thing that I wasn't really a fan of was the depressing build up of the storyline surrounding Miguel's family and what happens in the Land of the Dead when the deceased are forgotten.

I would recommend Coco to everyone young and old. The story was light enough for kids to laugh and enjoy it, yet deep enough for adults to think and reflect on their own lives. Plus, the music was amazing!

The preview for day 12 of the NYX Lippie Countdown showed a nice soft red. I was excited for this as it had been some time since the color of the day was red.
After opening it up I was happy to see that it was from the NYX Matte Lipstick collection.
This shade was called Indie Flick which makes it sound like a fun, cute, and edgy color.
Upon application, I was amused to see that this is a bright orangy/red color. It applied easily and cleaned up fairly nicely but did smudge slightly. This is not a long wear color but layered nicely without looking cakey. While I would not replace this when it runs out, I would happily continue to wear this shade.
For days 7 through 12, I was fairly amused by the color selection. They ranged from nude, to purple, to red, to pink. Overall, my favorite shade was day 11, Sao Paulo because it is closest to the colors I would normally buy. My least favorite shade was from day 8, Creme Brulee. This color had a lot of potential but was horrible to wear. I found myself constantly checking it and reapplying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Step, Two Steps, Breathe

"One Step, Two Steps, Breathe." That's the mantra I repeated as I slowly hand walked Cupid around the farm. "One Step, ...